Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Deviated Septum & Sinus Surgery

May 23

Septoplasty is a surgical procedure to correct a deviated septum which is a displacement of the bone and cartilage that divides both nostrils. During septoplasty, the nasal septum is straightened and repositioned in the middle of your nose.

I had to be at the hospital at 9:30 for an 11:00 Outpatient surgery. I got checked in and then was called for registration. I already had 2 phone calls to pre-register the day before. The young man who was checking me in said “so you’re here for your pre-op physical?” I said “no, I already had that, I’m here for the surgery today.” He had me down for a couple of blood tests and an EKG. I said I already had a ton of blood tests, chest x-ray and an EKG. The other 2 blood tests I didn’t have nor where they ordered. He apologized and said he was pretty new. We got that straightened out and I waited to be called back. She called Ann Kanes. Hmmmm, I figured that was close enough to Annette Kanies. She introduced herself and so did I. ha ha. 
The nurse took me into a room and gave me instructions to get undressed and into my cute gown and the sexy socks. She said to crack the door open when I was done. Just as I had everything off and was bending over to pick up the gown, the door opens and it’s the doctor. So, there I am in just the sexy socks and showing him the full moon. He was so embarrassed and left and came back. When he returned, he said If it helps any “nice buns”. I told him “I’ll take it”. The nurse said he turned bright red. Being an ENT doc, I doubt he has much cause to see that end of a patient. 
Now, I’ve got on the hair net that completed my look and they did the obligatory several sticks in my arm to find a vein to put the IV. The nurse finally gave up and the nurse anesthetist said he would do it. After asking me the same questions on allergies, what surgery I was there for and what doctor was performing it, over and over, they finally started the sedation and they wheeled me off saying “let’s get this party started!” 
They had Greg go sit in the waiting room and said I’d be about 2 hours. I think I came to around 3:00 or so. They gave me a popsicle and some ice chips. The doctor had checked me out on the computer, but he must not have saved it and the staff couldn’t let me go until they got that straightened out. So, it was around 4:30 or so when they wheeled me out to the car. 
Then Greg went to Walgreens with me in the car to get my pain meds, anti-nausea pills, antibiotic and the prednisone. He was in there over an hour. Walgreens was refusing to fill the pain med since I am allergic to one of the components. I think the doctor figured the synthetic form would be OK. (codeine makes me break out in a rash and makes me want to scratch my skin off) Anyway, they finally filled it. Greg even said just give me the other 3 RXs and he’d come back for the other one when they got it figured out. Then, they said they had to talk to me. He explained I just had surgery and couldn’t come in. Then they said, then go through the drive-through and they can talk to me. I could barely talk with all the packing. She kept saying I can’t hear you. Greg kept repeating what I said to them. Sheesh! So, it’s after 6:00 when we got home.
I do itch a bit with the meds, but not bad and it’s tolerable. 
I have a “spreadsheet” of timing of all the meds both oral and things to go up my nose. 
The first day was the worst because of the packing in my sinuses. You have to breathe through your mouth and that made it hard to swallow pills or eat. When Greg changed my bandage, it wasn’t very bloody at all.

The doctor told Greg that because of how deviated my septum was it took a lot to correct it and it left a hook at the end of my nose. So, he had to fix that. My nose has always pointed to one side and it looks a bit different now. (so, a "nose job" of sorts) 
The day after surgery I went in to have the packing removed. Yay! I can breathe. That makes everything much easier. He did some clean-up and was concerned about a small area where it had a cut, but it wasn’t part of the surgery. He put some stuff on it and rebandaged my nose and sent me on my way. I go back in 2 weeks for more clean-up and he has already warned me to take a pain pill before the appointment. Gee, that sounds fun. 
I’m back to eating normally and I really don’t have much blood at all. I have just one more day of prednisone and a week or so of antibiotic. I’m using nasal saline at least once an hour and I finish the course of Afrin today. I also put antibiotic ointment up my nose along the septum as well. I have to sleep pretty much sitting up for a few more days and can’t bend over at the waist for another week or so. 
I have had no bruising and hardly any swelling. Pleasantly surprised with how well the recovery is going.


 this is before the packing came out

Hopefully, I will be cleared to travel soon so we can get the road trip started. That should be way more interesting than my constant postings on "I saw this doctor and then saw this dentist and then this doctor....." you get the drift....

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you finally got that cleared up. Have a prompt recovery ..
    wishing you both all the best.. BTW, my Spanish is coming along...Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty, thanks for the well wishes. Say Hi to Jasmine! I assume you are still taking lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well good luck as you continue to recover.

    ReplyDelete