Tuesday, June 11, 2019

New House Progress & Road Trip Preparation


May 28 - June 11

Just got back from my “cleanup” post-surgery appointment. OUCH! I should have taken a photo of the “things” they pulled out of each nostril/sinus. I can now breath again with all of that out of there. It was downright unpleasant having it removed, but it had to be done. Now I have 2 weeks of twice a day antibiotic in saltwater sinus rinses to do. He wanted to have me come back in 2 weeks just to look at it and he was sure it would be fine, but I asked if that was mandatory since we were looking to get out of town and wouldn’t be back for several months. He said that was fine, since I could do the rinses wherever we are. So, we are aiming to leave Wed or Thursday at the latest. I am having my new glasses redone (bifocal wasn’t in a great spot) and will need to wait for them to come back.

 Last Sunday we drove by the house again and I’m going on and on about how close they are placing some plants to the driveway at the house across the street. I look up and Greg is patiently waiting for me to notice that our house has all the block walls up! Holy cow! We got out and walked around inside our “rooms”. The beginning roof framing pieces were laying there in front, so I imagine this Sunday they will be up. We watched them do the roofs on the homes that are done already, and it took lots of stages before it was finished. 







Greg is doing the routing for the trip. I gave him a list of potential things to do in each place and he’s been working out the best routing. We are eliminating New York City since there is so much to do there (and some require nicer clothing than we’ll be traveling with) and make it a separate trip on its own at another time. Monday, we’ll call the building supervisor and see if he can give us a ballpark guess of when our pre-drywall walkthrough will be and we will try to schedule how long the trip is around that. Then, see if he has a guestimate of how much longer it will be before it is finished. During that time, we can start the furniture ordering process and picking out lots of stuff. I found very cool accent chairs that I hope are still available when it’s time to buy. But, we don’t have enough room in storage to buy them now. They are at Bealls which is a Florida-style store, mainly clothes, but they do have a few household things as well. I looked on the manufacturers website and they don’t offer it, so maybe it was made just for Bealls. Yep, my head just exploded!  

Now, for the task of fitting everything we are traveling with into my one suitcase and a carryon size. We got a cooler which plugs into the “cigarette lighter” and is essentially a mini fridge. We also got a plug that can work in the hotel as well. We will travel with Nutrisystem to eat when we aren’t eating out. (just need a microwave) 
This past Sunday we went by the house and the roof framing was up! 






 these are photos of the view from the backyard 


Since I got the all-clear to travel, we leave tomorrow 6/12 for a road trip. We had thought we would have until Aug or Sep before we needed to be back for the pre-drywall walkthrough, but the construction supervisor says it should be 2nd or 3rd week of July. So, we revised the trip a bit to not go as far North on this leg and then when we strike out after the walk-through and when we need to be back about 6 weeks before move-in (don’t have that date yet) we will head up the east coast further north. So, we will remain flexible with the trip and cut it short should we need to.
So, we will have a couple of days of just driving to get north and then we will start doing some touring. Being flexible is much easier staying in hotels versus RVing since you can cut a stay short with no penalty in a hotel, where the RV parks are all paid in full up front and no refunds if you leave early or arrive later. Time will tell if we prefer car road trips vs RVing. I suspect we will still think we can’t beat a cruise for convenience. LOL (though, seeing most places in the States can’t be done that way)
I’m almost caught up adding photos to the blog from the web albums. What a pain. Despite me rearranging them when I got home, they are scrambled worse than ever making it really hard to add them. Plus, I think the blogsite is having issues because I keep getting error codes saying they can’t add the chosen photos, even one at a time. ARGH!!! I found a new program to renumber them so hopefully the process of adding them to Google Photos albums won’t screw them up. (for future…doesn’t help me with the ones already up there) I’m in the middle of Cape of Good Hope so that’s the start of the last segment so if I can get the site to work, I can finish before we leave next week. We’ll see how it works for the road trip and hopefully I won’t have to search for another program. I’m not finding a way to add a caption below the photos on this new program, which is crappy, so may need to find a new one anyway. I can add it online, but on the cruise, I’d prefer it to be done offline like I do now. It lets you add one, but it puts it right on the photo obliterating some of the photo. Not a fan!


These videos are done:

Papeete 1st Snorkel https://youtu.be/vs6KcnHaYfM



Papeete Coral Gardens https://youtu.be/nGeDUrWh3W4












Komodo Pink Beach snorkel video https://youtu.be/ctWsdF-GrXM




Great Barrier Reef https://youtu.be/1W8Rp6eIUDc

I don’t remember if I posted the video of Carnival in Rio from our South America cruise: https://youtu.be/X9noK21rVlk

Well, will update the blog as I have time after we start touring!


1 comment:

  1. Glad your surgery and sequels is finally over. House is looking GOOD!
    Think of you often. Love, hugs and kisses, Betty

    ReplyDelete