Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Compass RV Park - St. Augustine, Florida


October 7 
We took a day off today before our move to St. Augustine tomorrow.

I sent my birding binoculars to Nikon to be refurbished. The outer skin has been loose for quite some time and another area where I adjust the focus was torn and raising up. I got them in 2014 and they do get almost daily use, but still they should not hold up to tougher use than I give them. They are under warranty, but I sure hated to part with them. After our birding day in Louisiana I sent them off to be sure to get them back before the world cruise. I figured there really isn’t going to be any new birds for us in Florida, so it seemed like a great time to do it. I did wish I had them when we saw the Bobcat though. The old ones I have are only slightly better than the naked eye.

October 8

Today we had no time constraints, but Hurricane Michael is headed towards “the big bend” area of Florida (where we are currently) so we wanted to get out before it got ugly. We only encountered a bit of rain and it was windy on our drive. (not due to the storm just normal weather)

We did encounter an accident on the way here. We came around a curve and we saw some debris (mostly tire tread) and there were people pulled over and waving at everyone to slow down. There was a car in front of us that slammed on their brakes. Just reflex I suppose, but you don’t do that in front of a big rig. I think they were just pulled over to help or maybe they were somehow involved, but there was a large motorhome way off the road but still upright. It was a day of watching people drive like idiots on the road. Impatient cars weaving in and out of traffic and one almost got creamed by a truck that had signaled he was changing lanes when the car decided to try to beat him.

We passed by Jacksonville on our way.





We arrived at the park in the early afternoon. It is a large park (around 200 spaces) with rec rooms, a pool and a couple of laundry-mats and a gym. Greg is in hog heaven having a gym. One of the things he doesn’t like about RV life is that only a few places have gyms. We are here for a week. 

 office








 our spot

After eating local foods across the country, we both need to lose some weight before getting on a cruise ship for nearly 4 months.

The last two areas where we stayed are being hit by Hurricane Michael, so we are glad to be out of there. We would have had to evacuate anyway.

October 9

We hadn’t planned any days off this week, but we are having a windy rainy day. (not due to the storm) Tomorrow, is supposed to be the worst (from the storm), so we will probably have another day off. Lots of wind and rain. 
So, good news is that I'm caught up on the blog. The bad news is that I have nothing to blog about.
I'm using my day off making sure all of my tour info is up to date for the world cruise and I still have 3 tours that need 2 more people due to yet another cancelation. I went to post them on Cruise Critic and they are updating and are in a "read only" mode. Ah well, good intentions. 
It's been many years since we have been to St. Augustine so hopefully the weather clears and we can get out and about at least a couple of days. Plus, there is a Greek Festival this weekend and it would be great to grab some hopefully good Greek food. (Fri - Sun)
We'll see what tomorrow brings in terms of weather.

1 comment: